Residents are being urged to steer clear of an “extremely dangerous” gas leak spreading in Melbourne’s north.
Fire Rescue Victoria and the police are attempting to contain the hazardous leak that began spreading from a shopfront on Sydney Rd in Coburg towards the Victoria St Mall at about 11am on Sunday morning.
The gas leak has also halted tram services in both directions, as well as cars and pedestrians.
Efforts to curb the leak were also hampered by a leaking water main located in a trench where emergency crews, including 12 firefighters, were using to suppress the gas and its vapours.
A Fire Rescue Victoria spokesman warned locals to keep away from the Mall until the leak has been contained.
“Stay indoors and avoid the area on Sydney Rd between Bell St and Harding St to allow emergency vehicles to access the event and the gas company to rectify the problem,” he said.
A warning on the state’s emergency website urged residents travelling on Sydney Rd to “leave the area immediately”.
“If you are away from home, do not return,” the warning read.
“If you are currently driving you should shut your windows. Turn off your airconditioning and close the vents.”
Fire Rescue Victoria are expected to update locals on the dangerous leak throughout the afternoon through the emergency site.